View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, I sketched out some initial designs last night and this afternoon.

#1 Gimli Axe Knife is a knife version of the walking axe that Gimli used in the film:

#2 Hatchet Knife is as close as I could get to a knife-hybrid hatchet that doesn't seem too much like one or the other.

#3 Dwarven Bowie seemed like plain enough, no-nonsense design

#4 Mountain Seax - I had a lot of suggestions for a seax design. I figured something dwarven would be a bit on the robust side, so this design calls for a blade 2" to 2.5" wide

#5 Goblin Chopper - while I was initially less than enthused about tanto points, this kind of design might actually work.

#6 Dwarven Recurve - this started out as a T.B. Tracker design, but I didn't like it, so I modified it into a recurve. I'm not sure about this one.

#7 Spelunk Fighter - I got suggestions for a leuku design, too. Like the seax, I thought a dwarven version would be fairly robust, hence the wide blade.

#8 - Miner's Companion - I had a suggestion for a utility (non-fighter) knife, that uses a chisel point and grind (for prying stones & gems) and has a hammer pommel (for driving pitons). I also decided to add a saw blade and rope cutter on the spine.

Now, a lot of these accessories can be mixed around:

Handle: I've kept to an octagonal handle design, however some use a straight handle with flared ends and some use a slightly curved octagonal handle. I could put either kind of handle on any of these blades.

Accents: I showed one blade with runes, another with a geometric design, and another with an engraving of the hammer and anvil design which Tolkien drew on the Moria Gate. I could put any of these, or something different, on any of the blade designs.

Rope Cutter: Could be added to any design

Saw Blade: Ditto

So, now that I have some designs sketched, what design or combination of designs might work?

Any other modification suggestions- handle, hilt, pommel, blade, etc?

Any other designs different from what I've already drawn?