View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 04:12 PM   #159
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
"Well, dearie," Jesia contemplated what answer to give young Mae. "Perhaps he fears what he does not know..."

"My uncle fears nothing," Mae interrupted, with a slightly stubborn tone in her voice. Jesia smiled at Mae's protection of her uncle. She was a smart girl.

"Well, then he is a smart man. For nothing in life is to be feared, only to be understood. Maybe this is why your uncle dislikes the idea of my bracelet. Perhaps he does not understand it. If he wanted to understand it, he could, but methinks your uncle is gathering bundles of sticks to build a bridge that he will never cross. Now, Mae, where is your accompanament? I do not think it is a safe thing for a young lady like yourself to be out alone."

"You sound like my uncle," Mae scoffed, but she hid the sudden worry in her eyes well. Jesia wondered if she'd forgotten to get back to her uncle or back to Hearpwine.

"I said he was a smart man, and so I am glad to be likened to him."

---

As the three men worked their way through the crowds, Asad grinned back towards Hearpwine. "I hate to draw you away from your victory, friend!" Asad called back, then furrowed his brows as he turned back to the crowded path before him. Friend? Asad wondered at the words that had come from his lips. I hardly know him! Then Asad thought about these musings for a moment. Perhaps it is just a strange connection...

"Do not be too upset, I do not think I will miss much," Hearpwine replied tersly. While Asad could see the gratitude in his eyes at the compliment, Asad could also see the worry and upset nature that had overcome him since leaving the Hall. Do not doubt yourself, good Hearpwine! Asad cried inwardly. My grandmother saw something inside you, and I can see the passion and determination in your eyes!

The group quickly reached the booth where Jesia worked day in and day out. Asad hopped the flimsy wooden gate and tapped on his grandmother's shoulder, for she was turned to the opposite street and lane of crowded traffic. When she turned around from her customer, she grinned at her grandson and put her hands in a firm grip on his shoulders.

"Asad! How did you do?"

"Grandmama! Where is the girl?" Asad asked, and gestured to Liornung and Hearpwine. Jesia bowed to the worried men, and stepped out of the way to reveal Mae on the other side of the booth. Her eyes were locked on the bracelet still, until she looked up and saw her uncle and Hearpwine.