View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 01:51 PM   #156
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
The mood was somber, the hall was silent. Too silent. No one dared clapped, but silent nods and smiles of approval spread all around for Hearpwine. Perhaps the young man thought that the lack of cheers meant ill of his performance, but Asad knew that the audience had been captivated by his song. In truth, Asad had little doubt in Hearpwine's song winning him the spot as Bard. Asad had been the memory master of his family, reciting and recalling all familial songs and tales since he was young. It was tedious work, to say the least, and Jesia thought that Asad ought to try his luck...

...but Asad had little confidence in singing after Hearpwine. After all, the young bard had taken the crimson scarf. Asad knew what Jesia would say about him having the crimson scarf. In his heart Asad hoped that he was chosen far enough along that folk forgot how wondrous Hearpwine's performance had been. Then Asad knew that Hearpwine's song would never be forgotten. Never. Asad snapped from his thoughts as Hearpwine bowed away and the Lady chose a new chip of wood.

"The minstrel that holds the royal blue scarf, come forward!"

Asad cringed as he looked at the scarf clutched in his hand. It was a doubly ill omen - having a blue so deep in color and being chosen second to Hearpwine. But Asad stood forward, for it was his time.

"What is your name, young one? Where do you hail from, and what song do you play for us today?" The King asked mildly, and Asad wondered if his mind still lingered on Hearpwine's melody.

"I am called Asad, from right here in Edoras, my King," Asad replied calmly, glad for his good composure even if he had no chance of beating Hearpwine. "I was too young to go to war, and had to sit and wait for my family and my King to return from the war. This song is of anxiety and hope for a new future in waiting for my King to come home."

The King nodded, and Asad bowed before playing a quick tune on his pipe. When this was done, Asad started his song.

"Let rogues and cheats prognosticate
Concerning king's or kingdom's fate
I think myself to be as wise
As he that gazeth on the skies
My sight goes beyond
The depth of a pond
Or rivers in the greatest rain
Whereby I can tell
That all will be well
When the King enjoys his own again

Yes, this I can tell
That all will be well

There's neither Swallow, Dove, or Dade
Can soar more high or deeper wade
Nor show a reason from the stars
What causeth peace or many wars
But all's to no end,
For the times will not mend
Till the King enjoys his own again

Yes, this I can tell
That all will be well

For many years this royal crown
Hath been his father's and his own
And is there anyone but he
That in the same should sharer be?
For better may
The scepter sway
Than he that hath such right to reign?
Then let's hope for a peace,
For the wars will not cease
Till the king enjoys his own again

Yes, this I can tell
That all will be well

Though for a time we see his hall
With cobwebs hanging on the wall
Instead of gold and silver brave
Which formerly was wont to have
With rich perfume
In every room,
Delightful to that princely train
Yet the old again shall be
When the time you see
That the King enjoys his own again

Yes, this I can tell
That all will be well

Then fears avaunt, upon the hill
My hope shall cast her anchor still
Until I see some peaceful dove
Bring home the branch I dearly love
Then will I wait
Till the waters abate
Which now disturb my troubled brain
Then for ever rejoice,
When I've heard the voice
That the King enjoys his own again

Yes, this I can tell
That all will be well
When the King enjoys his own again..."

Asad finished, piping the same tune from the beginning before trailing off and bowing to his King. When he finished, he turned away and stood next to Hearpwine in the crowd. His voice was soft as he spoke to Hearpwine.

"Sir, the Kings words rang true when he said that you honor this hall this day. I was honored to hear your song," Asad complimented, serious in his words and tone.

---

"Miss Jesia, my uncle gave me permission to return to you and bid you tell me what these words say. If you would?"

Jesia laughed. It came out as a deep, low chuckle. Jesia had known that Mae would come back. That is why I gave it to her, and not Hearpwine. Jesia mused, feeling clever for just a moment, though sometimes in her aging years Jesia thought that cleverness would never be found. Mae was still young enough to be enchanted and captured by an intriguing mytery. Though Jesia did not know Mae, in her heart the old woman hoped that Mae kept this trait.

"Well, my dear, it says something in my tongue," Jesia began to explain, as Mae handed her the circlet for a moment and Jesia examined it again in her old weathered fingers. "To some it brings hope, and to others it brings confusion or dismay...The inside reads thusly:

He who sings scares away his woes..." Jesia read, before returning the bracelet to Mae.

Mae smiled. "Why did you give this to me for Hearpwine?"

"His confidence was faltering; I could see doubt in his eyes. But I could feel his strength and the refuge he found in his music..." Jesia explained. "Mae, I would appreciate it if you told Hearpwine this meaning."