View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #178
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Falco

“I suppose we’re going to go home, then, to the Shire, since they’ve been found, aren’t we?”

That had been Gorby. The brigands had called it quits when they realized the sixty horsemen were not friends, starved as they were. These brigands had been responsible for their starving, and for the lashes on their backs.

"Back to the Shire!" Falco answered. "I should think not! We have all the reinforcements we need right here! Leastways, once they get some vittles in them."

"Is Eodwine among you?" asked Falowik.

One of the stepped forward. "My name is Heremir. I'm a Gondorian, captured last year at Fornost. I know of the one you speak, this Eodwine. He was among our number most recently, but he tried to escape, a foolish thing to do, and they took him north, to make a gift of him for the Master, they said. He was well until then. A firey spirit had that one. It's too bad he's as good as dead now."

"Not while I am still standing," said Falowik. "What work did the brigands set you to, if any, Heremir?"

"Farming and husbanding. This Master of theirs means to build a great army. For that he needs food and drink for his men. He uses folk he captures as slaves until they are nothing left but skin and bones, and the blood running in their veins. The Valar know what he does with them."

"So there is food and drink to be had back where you were held?" Falco asked.

"Aye. And now we may actually get some of it," Heremir said, a slow smile spreading over his face. Then he looked about. "Are you their leader?" he asked Falco. "Or is it you?" This last was said to Falowik.

"Not I", said Falowik, nor Falco here, though he is a brave and resourceful enough hobbit. Thoronmir is our leader." Falowik pointed to the man lying on the ground, wounded.