View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It's been a while since I've actually read LOTR in English (as opposed to just looking up specific details), my rereads in recent years have all been in Russian. So, while flipping through for Password inspiration, I came across this passage, the beauty of which was lost in translation and which I've just rediscovered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTR, Many Meetings
`You needn't,' said Bilbo. `As a matter of fact it was all mine. Except that Aragorn insisted on my putting in a green stone. He seemed to think it important. I don't know why. Otherwise he obviously thought the whole thing rather above my head, and he said that if I had the cheek to make verses about Eärendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair. I suppose he was right.'
I read this, and it just hit me that this is Elessar insisting that Bilbo include the Elessar. Still don't know why, but I was endlessly amused.

When did I start this thread? 9 years ago? Still plenty of gems left to go around, literal and (ha!) literary.