View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:15 AM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Interesting question, but I guess we would first have to ask what kind of marrigae rites the elves and the men have before discussing wedding apparel. I believe there was a rather heated debate on the old Lonely Star RPG discussion thread about the nature of elven troth. And, given the absence of other aspects of religious life such as churches and sacred holydays and rituals, one might consider if wedding practices in the sub-created world would mimic those of the Primary World.

Would there, for instance, be any examples of the dowery system? Droit du seigneur? Would any of the species--elven, dwarven, human or hobbit--have hens and stags or, as some times occurs in North America, stag and does? Before planning the wedding dress, shouldn't we first determine whether there would be weddings per se or not?

I'm not trying to shred your lovely ideas of gowns and dresses, just putting in some Middle-earth context.