View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
Radtech51
Animated Skeleton

Radtech51 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragrax View Post
From Galadriel: "the rings give power according to the measure of each possessor".

So . . Lesser folk become invisible, while great power becomes even greater power.

Reply:
Quote:
Interesting concept although one might think becoming invisible would be in the greater power list?

Saruman was trying to convert Gandalf, so that may have factored into his not taking the ring. He might also have been unable to take it as the ring was a thing of true Art, and Saruman was a diminished thing by that time. We see how Gollum responded to elf-rope, and Narya was far, far greater in craft and "purity" or perhaps even "holiness", if one wants to give it a name.

Reply:
Quote:
I see your point but if Sauron sought after the three greater rings of power in hope to turn them to his use why not Saruman?

Note that I always correlated Gandalf's skill with fireworks and the like with Narya. While it was a thing to kindle spirits, it likely granted understanding of fire in general, as well as "providing" a certain grey-cloaked wizard with a "firey" temper.

Reply:
Quote:
I agree his ring might have granted him better understanding of fire in general. Might this have been turned to evil use if Sauron ever captured his ring?
After all, each Istar had a focus, and Gandalf's was clearly languages and cultures, not fire. He was a philologist, really. Can't imagine why, of course. . .

As to why more rings were not made. .

1) they may not have been needed. Maybe there were 7 dwarf kings and 9 mortal kings of note, and that's all that was needed to hold sway.

2) Perhaps adding more rings would have made it harder for Sauron to maintain control over all of them (spreading him thin, as it were).

Reply:
Quote:
This was my belief as well.
3) 3, 7, and 9 are magical numbers. There are few others in Western tradition, save 13, and JRRT would have had to come up w/a race for that batch.

4) On that last note: 3 is trinity (or rather, Trinity), which a Catholic would connect good images with; 7 is the number of deadly sins; and Dante had 9 RINGS of hell for men to lodge themselves in with their follies. This last bit (all of point 4) is speculation/IMO, but JRRT was a very devout Catholic, and such associations would have been lurking about his brain.
Reply:
Quote:
I did not know that about Prof. Tolkien although it does not surprise me.

Last edited by Radtech51; 08-13-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Radtech51 is offline   Reply With Quote