View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 05:53 AM   #63
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Here's a bio for Bill:

Name: Bill Ferny

Appearance: Swarthy, yellowish and scarred skin; dark greasy hair; small dark eyes; a semi- permanent leering grin is fixed on his face; he is quite short and skinny and wears dirty stained clothes.

Weapons: A stout cudgel, belt knife and a bow he only half knows how to use.

History: Bill was born and brought up in the Breeland. His father was a lazy good for nothing- his mother (who was relatively normal) made a big mistake marrying him. Originally she tried to change her husband and bring her son up right, but eventually she gave up and Bill became everything his father was and worse. Both parents died when smallpox hit Bree, when Bill was 16. He survived with scarred skin. Since then he has lived by doing the least possible, mostly illegal, in a sort of “wheeler-dealer” role. He hates Bree and everyone hates him. Envoys from Sauron (mostly half orcs) found him eager to make more money by doing even less, and score a point back on certain party of 4 Hobbits who humiliated him…

Character: Greedy, lazy, driven by revenge, loves to see people suffer, manipulative, cowardly, ruthless, disloyal… Everyone has to have at least one good point- but Bill’s is not going to show up in this RPG!

These are the posts for him-
26 October
“Well, will you tell me the pay now?”

Bill smiled in a way that had nothing to do with amusement. Here was Helios, and he could see the shadowy figures of Assiram and Ahriman approaching too. Waiting until they had reached him, Bill named a figure.

“Are you joking?” Ahriman asked, without amusement.
“You’ll be going after the richest family in that rich little land” Bill added lazily. “You might not even want to claim your pennies”

He watched as one by one the men in front of him nodded or grunted assent.
“Very well” he said with a vague approximation at haste. “I’m off on horseback, Sharkey’s orders, to get a few of Sharkey’s little feather-capped stooges to help you out. It’ll take you four days to get to where you’re going. Known as the “Tookland”, right?”

After a few more mumbles of comprehension Bill repeated his hollow smile and walked off to get his nag for the journey back to the land of rich pickings.

28 October
“I need to talk to the chosen Hobbits” Bill announced after the usual duty postings and reprimands. “The rest of you get back to duty”

He watched the three who remained in their seats as the rest filed out silently. Two were of the new order, the future of Hobbits. One still seemed to resist. His loyalty would have to be tested or his spirit broken.

“Well” he said with a leering grin “you’re all very lucky. Them Tooks have had far too much freedom to disrespect our Chief, but you will at last get to put them down. You’ll set off tomorrow morning and watch them. There’s a few men who’ll meet you there. And when all the Tooks are… gone you’ll have the chance to fight it out with my men over who gets the booty!”

He watched the looks on the Hobbit’s faces. They all looked a little uncomfortable. Might be fear, could be that they didn’t want to do it.
“Any problems?” he asked, leaning down threateningly.
“No no” they all said hastily.
“Go on then” Bill answered, and watched them scurry out the door.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link