Thread: Curses!
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 PM   #12
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voralphion
Morgoth's curse on the children of Hurin was effective without the action of Glaurang. I believe the curse was at least partly at work with Turin fleeing from Doriath after the accidental slaying of Saeros, the killing of his friend Beleg Strongbow when he was freeing Turin from the orcs that had captured him. Had none of these things happened, Turin would probably have never gone to Nargothrond, where his actions led to it being discovered by Morgoth and Glaurang and its ultimate destruction, and the events that followed later involving Nienor.
Actually, that's an interesting thought to ponder: what WOULD have happened without Glaurung- assuming, of course, that Finduilas DIDN'T break Morgoth's curse on him (and although it is suggested that she would have, it is not said so definitively). In that case, Turin's curse would certainly have remained effective, if not so dramatically so as it was in the end. One wonders where it would have taken him... Nargothrond would have fallen in the end, once Morgoth learned of it. What then?

Would Turin have returned to Doriath, and wreaked havoc there, preceeding his father? Would he have gone with the refugees to join Cirdan and Gil-galad, and wrecked THAT settlement (which would really have screwed things up- more than he ended up doing). Would he have gone to Dor-Lomin anyway, and messed up Tuor's life, thus precipitating Gondolin's fall?

Hmm... now that I think about it, the chances for Turin to wreck things was pretty wide open...