View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #96
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I heard from Celuien and sadly she said she feels not able to join us, but she said, that if she has time in the future she'd rather then take a visiting character...

That means the destiny of Garstan and his children are in our hands.

I talked about it with Foley on our way to the airport this morning and with Lommy later on the day, and we were kind of starting to favor the idea that Garstan could have died during the winter (giving his share of scarce food to his children and working like a bull to benefit others) and then getting a fever or something with an already weak body etc.

That would add a lot of drama with the two children being orphaned by the winter and most probably being adopted by Stigend and Modtryth. We were already discussing the possible reactions of the children with Lommy: Garmund (now a teenager) would react violently not taking orders from Stigend as he is "not my dad - and you can't boss me around" and Leodthern (now 9 years old) might turn on blaming herself for his dad's death ("Why did I eat the stuff he gave me and now he's dead because of my selfishness!")... and Leodthern has also lost her idol Ginna, so we'd have a lot of drama for the kids on offer.

And in the end, Garstan was a nice chap - like Stigend they both are this kind of jovial, nice, dutiful, responsible professionals who always do the right thing etc. so losing him wouldn't be that much of a loss writing-wise as in the end (of our writing) Garstan and Stigend became to resemble each other a lot anyway.

Another thought on people who might have suffered or even died... how about the old Raban? The old master who was given the task of teaching Javan how to make a chainmail as a punishment / lesson to be learned (holding your temper, concentrating, learning patience, learning new skills...) by lord Athanar? He was old and weak already then - so he could be one of our named victims of the harsh winter as well?

Would Javan think of him as "good riddance" or start to mourn for him - or just learn something of his sudden disappearance?

Nice to see the wheels rolling!

PS. / ADD: The thought just came to me: if you Foley think Raban and Javan would have built something like a true connection it might be he didn't leave with Athanar's retinue before the winter as he thought he could teach this young lad a thing or two (and didn't find any foreseeable interesting challenges for his age otherwise) and saw his place there at the Mead Hall - and then died with the malnourishment and cold... It might add an interesting twist to Javan's character being forced to part with a good adult friend - or at least a person he would have learned to admire or at least to approve of? What do you think Foley?

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-23-2015 at 02:38 PM.