View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 10:24 AM   #118
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

The elves ran for a week straight trying to put as much distance between them and the fortress. Ihwesta ran ahead scouting out the quickest evasion route while Arië backtracked to make sure no vice pursued. Nibbling on lembas and making quick stops for Taurëwen to mend broken things and renew strength in those who faltered, they covered a great expanse by the tenth day and were now a two weeks gentle walk from the palace.

They were allowed to continually slow down as Arië gathered no sign of pursuit. The last battle between the elves of Greenwood and the monsters of Dol Guldur left the latter in a disagreeable state, unfit to give chase.

"How goes it?" Ihwesta asked Taurëwen, setting down the skin of fresh water. The healer was doing her best to keep the Succumbed hopeful enough to continue the journey and make it home. The conscious did their part to sing songs of elven lore and brighten their companions' memories with ancient stories. Ihwesta played and danced for them, drawing an occasional smile.

"They'll make it home," Taurëwen whispered. "But that is all I can be sure of." Ihwesta placed a hand on her friend's shoulder and beamed at her.

"That is all we need to know, Taurëwen. Your Gift has more than saved us all." The tracker left then as Reynion returned with Ceros, who had gone to collect more firewood, and went to sit by Taurëwen.

Ihwesta untied a bundle of faggots herself and helped arrange them about the pit and blew as Ceros held a flame to the kindle. The fire blazed and Eruwen came with a pot to begin boiling water for the soup. "Rabbits." Arië said proudly, coming up to them with her bow slung over her shoulder. She unfolded the sheet of canvas that carried no less than seven good conies. The women helped to cut them up and mix them in with the gravy-like stew.

"What spices will we need for this fine feast of yours?" Taurëwen asked Arië as she came up with her own bag. Three were chosen and sprinkled over the steaming supper. Then it was served and everyone ate their fill, warming their enervated bodies.

Ihwesta finished her bowl, set it down by her side and turned to Ceros. "If I have to eat another soup like that again it'll be the end of me," she laughed.

"I heard that!" Arië called, smiling from where she sat. Ihwesta winked and leaned back against a tree. It was quiet for a while as they all sat there lost in their own thoughts. Then Taurëwen spoke up. "I think we should have a song for them," she said gesturing towards the distant elves. "Before they sleep a while."

Ihwesta nodded. "I shall sing one." With no accompaniment, the tracker began a small song.

"Once, as my heart remembers
all the stars were fallen embers
once, when night seemed forever
I was with you.

"Once in the care of morning
in the air was all belonging.
once, when that day was dawning
I was with you.

"How far we are from morning,
how far are we
and the stars shining through the darkness,
falling in the air.

"Once, as the night was leaving
into us our dreams were weaving.
once, all dreams were worth keeping.
I was with you.

"Once, when our hearts were singing,
I was with you."

It was brief but pleasant and left them all peacefully tired. Ihwesta leaned into Ceros's shoulder and soon she too fell asleep.

At dawn they were ready again to get moving, and a short fortnight later, they crossed the stone bridge into Thranduil's palace and were home at last.

------------------------------------------------------------
*Fallen Embers, words and music by Enya, Nicky Ryan and Roma Ryan.
ã2000 EMI Music Publishing Ltd, London WC2H 0QY

OCC: I saw that song and it seemed so appropriate, don't you think? Something an elf would sing I thought. It fit.