Thread: Resistance RPG
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2003, 05:57 PM   #47
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

30 October

Frustrated at the slow progress she was making, Cami hoisted the pack onto her shoulders and quickly mounted her pony, giving Dandelion a number of good kicks in the withers until they were cantering briskly westward along the road. The first rays of the sun were just visible over the horizon as Cami made her way into Tukborough. She hurried along the central roadway of the town past the rambling structure of the Great Smials, heading for a small burrow that she knew was inhabited by one of her old neighbors from Hobbiton.

Cami pounded loudly on the round door and snatched at the bell chain with a decided yank, waiting impatiently for someone to answer. There was a rustle inside and a groan or two; then the door opened and Niluial stood in front of her.

The graceful figure yawned and peered over at Cami, rubbing away the sleep from her eyes. Then, realization seemed to dawn in Niluial's mind as she slowly recognized her childhood friend. "Cami, is that you? Camelia Goodchild! I don't believe it! Whatever are you doing in Tukborough? Why aren't you in Buckland taking care of the Brandybuck family's children?"

"Well, I'm not in Buckland, as you can see. And that's a very long story." Cami looked upset, hesitated for a minute, and then plunged ahead. "You wouldn't happen to have anything to eat. I'm keeling over from hunger."

Niluial reached out to squeeze Cami's hand as the two women went over to a small table and sat down. A pitcher of milk and a plate of bread magically appeared. The plump hobbit began ravenously devouring the entire loaf, cutting off successive slices at one end and making her way through to the other.

Between mouthfuls of bread and gulps of milk, Cami managed to explain her situation to Niluial. She'd been given a month's holiday by the Brandybucks who thought she was working far too hard. With so much free time, she'd decided to go up and visit Hob. Perhaps, they could talk things over and make up their differences, and she could persuade him to leave the Chief's employ. Perhaps they would even set a date to get married.

Only after she'd arrived at the Shirriff-House, Hob was nowhere to be seen. One of the hobbits had confided to her that Hob had just left that morning on an errand to Tukborough with two other Shirriffs. No one seemed to know exactly what that errand was. But as Cami went about the guardhouse asking questions, she began to get a little suspicious. Still, the only real information she could glean was that the three were headed towards Tukborough on some task that Bill Ferny had devised.

Cami leaned over confidentially to Niluial, her face red and angry, "Bill Ferny! Can you believe that? My Hob on an errand for Bill Ferny! Everything I've heard about that man makes me twitch. So I said to myself 'enough is enough'. If Hob wants to work for Ferny, then he can sleep alone in his bed. I'll not marry a man in Ferny's employ! Not for the richest farmstead in all the Shire."

Cami grimly folded her arms in front of her chest and glowered back at her friend. Niluial leaned over reassuring Cami with a gentle pat on her hand. "I'm so sorry all this has happened. That sluggard Hob deserves a rap on the head. But I still don't understand why you're here in Tukborough."

" Here! I'm here to find Hob and throw his betrothal band back in his face. To give him a piece of my mind!" Cami held up her left hand showing a handsome ring with a bright red stone. "And if I can't find Hob myself, I'll hand it to his parents with a nasty note."

Niluial glanced over at her friend and lowered her voice, "Cami, I do have another idea. A way to get back against Ferny and his lot, and to help Paladin out. A way to show Hob that you mean business!" Niluial cupped her hand over her mouth and whispered in Cami's ear, outlining the details of the plan to travel to the South Farthing and secure a load of pipeweed for Paladin and his household right under the nose of Ferny and the Shirriffs. When Niluial finished, she leaned back and asked, "So, will you do it? Come along with us...?"

Cami sat a moment and thought, weighing the arguments Niluial had made. Uncertain what to say or do, she finally responded, "Niluial, I would. I'd love to go with you and Josh and the others. But I have such a craving to tell Hob off to his face that I don't feel I can leave just yet. I need to find him and take care of this business first."

Cami looked up and added, "But I can promise this. I'll search the central town and marketplace this morning. If I manage to find Hob and do what needs to be done, I'll swing back to join you before your group rides out. If I know hobbits, someone will insist on a second breakfast, and you'll never leave before mid-morning."

Niuluial shook her head, "You're probably right." Then she told Cami where she could meet the band which was gathering at the old trysting tree just east of town, quite close to the main roadway.

Cami said nothing but stared soulfully down at her ring. Hobbit lads could be such a nuisance. Her mother had insisted that she settle down and get married, and she was really trying. Was Hob the right one or not? He was a good man and kind when he wasn't running round with the Shirriffs, yet, in all truthfulness, she really wasn't sure. But she did know one thing. Until Hob set down his Shirriff's cap, she was not about to give him the time of day. And today she would go out and tell him that in no uncertain words. Maybe, if she finally confronted him, she would learn the truth, not just about Hob and his post as a Shirriff but how she really felt about him in her own heart.

Keeping her final confused thoughts to herself, Cami rose to say goodbye to Niluial and told her she would see her later.

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]