View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 06:46 PM   #80
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Melost shook his head at the two of them and scowled at Thelian, who merely leaned his head aginst the chair-back and shrugged. "He is young, Melost. Let him be. Come and have a cup yourself, you look like you've seen a ghost!" Melost raised an eyebrow, then took the proffered cup from Thelian and pulled a chair over beside him.

"Have you ever felt as though no matter what you do or how well you do it, it is of no consequence? That is how I feel at this moment. I have served my King to the best of my ability and nearly died doing it once. And for what?" In anger he threw his wine into the fire. Thelian leaned forward in concern and Dorlas jumped, coming fully awake. "Wha...what's wrong?" he asked blearily as he struggled out of the chair. Thelian put out a restraining arm and stood in front of him, almost divining Melost's thoughts.

"Thelain, take him to his rooms. At this moment I cannot bear the sight of him, or of any man right now!" Shocked, Thelian took Dorlas by the arm and left with him without a word to Melost, but the accusatory look in his eyes said it all.

The rest of the night found Melost seeing to all the details that normally he left to Thelian, cleaning his sword and his knives, re-fletching several of his arrows and, when there remained nothing left to do, he paced. He paced the hall-way outside their chamber and when Thelian returned at last, his face cold and distant, he made an attempt at an apology. "Thelian, I..forgive me. I should never have spoken to you or to the boy in that manner and I crave your pardon."

Thelian cocked his head and looked at him pointedly. "Melost, I have always respected and admired you, not only for your skill in arms, but for the openness of your thoughts. Tonight, you have done more to harm Dorlas than any weapon could do. It is young men like him that can bring greater understanding between our people, but will he now?" Melost turned away, sick at heart. "There is truth in what you say, as always." he said softly. "I must go to Anwenelme. I promised to speak with her before we depart. I have seen to eveything, so if you can, get some sleep, otherwise, go along to Menelya's rooms and make sure she is ready to travel light. If I know her, she will want to bring her last possession with her!"

With that he clapped Thelian on the shoulder and went to see if Anwenelme had returned to her chamber. The memory of Arthain sitting close to her, his face lit by her presence rankled him and Melost strove to put it from his mind, bearing in mind that their friendship had been valued by both of them and that with any luck, it still would be.

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Cuthalion ]