View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 03:21 PM   #78
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

The women still sat in the hall speaking, although the plates had long been cleared and nearly everyone had retired for the evening. Menelya had excused herself from her friends and was sitting alone at an adjacent table. Her book lay open on the table, but she was not really reading it. Anwaelme had left the room long ago, before Melost had even adjourned for the night. Melost had left somewhat later, probably to be with Anwaelme.

There was a small clatter as one of the servants dropped one of the remaining goblets. The girl blushed as Menelya gave her a wicked stare, quickly picking up the goblet and leaving as quietly as she could. Menelya slammed her book, continuing to look after the door the servant exited with an evil glare. She stood and left the hall in quite a foul mood.

Menelya snapped at one of the guards on her way to her room. She saw a light in Anwaelme's room as she walked. She saw her daughter through the window, but did not see any sign of Melost, surprisingly.

Menelya silently let herself into her room. As she was undressing, she realized she had left her book on the table in the dining hall. No matter, she thought, no one would dare touch the book. She had put her name in it, and everyone knew not to steal her property.

Menelya dozed in her large bed, thinking of Anwaelme and Melost, her book, her friends, and all the gossip she heard at the dinner table.

A few hours later, Menelya awoke with a start. The sun would come up soon and Menelya still had packing to do. The Elf jumped out of bed, quickly dressing and running to the quarters of her maidservants.

"Up, girl!" Menelya said, "We have packing to do! I will need everything packed in a few hours! Oh," she added as an afterthought, "I suppose you should pack too, as you will be coming."

The girl gave a startled look, but was used to Menelya's antics. She quickly rose and dressed under the watchful, judging eye of Menelya. The poor girl trudged as fast as her sleepy legs could carry her back to Menelya's apartments. Menelya sat on her bed, watching the girl and criticizing her nearly the whole time.

"No! Do not pack that pink dress, you silly girl! I have so many new gowns, there is no need to pack the old ones. Why do I even have that? Why have you not thrown that out?" Menelya's steady stream of comments continued until she was finally packed.

Menelya observed the girl's work, making a few more biting comments.

"Quick now! Back to bed! I must sleep some more until the sun comes up!" Menelya barked. The girl quietly left, going to her own room to pack up what little she could before it was time to leave.

Menelya lay in bed in her clothing, trying to catch a bit more sleep until the sun rose fully.

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]