View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 12:23 AM   #5
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good points Sharon.

Men of the stature of Beren and Tuor and Beor and co?

I would put few in that category.

Amandil, Elendil and almost Isildur.

Eorl is no lightweight saving Gondor once and then again by extension.

We really do not know much of the kings of Gondor or Arnor/Arthedain to be able to speak of character, but of Numenor I think we can say that they lost the wise-woman tradition and were an increasingly unbalanced society.

I guess Ioreth in her own small way is the distant descendant of Andreth.

Of course we only see Arwen at the begining and end of her Reign, but I have no doubt that she did all she could to raise the level of the lore and wisdom and snsitivity of the Gondorian ladies auxillary fellowship to heights never before or since reached.

She could teach classical Elven singing, Osanwe, Mithril sewing [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] , Elven and Valinorean Lore, Lembas making [prob the first time men would make it w/ a near Eldarin potency]and maybe even the cordial of Imladris. She was after all the grand-daughter of Earendil and Galadriel come to live among the Men of the West.

Her very presence must have been amazing.

" But I say to you King of the Numenoreans, not tillnow have i understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of men then it is bitter to receive.... then she said farewell to Eldarion and to her daughters and to all whom she had loved; and passed away to the land of Lorien and dwelt there alone.

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote