View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #505
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Newsman has just left Hobbiton.
“Fain, I’m going for a quick ride. But I’ll be back before tomorrow.” That was the last thing that Maikaalph had ever said to Fain. That quick ride had never ended. Maikaalph had never returned. Fain couldn't help but think of his old friend's whereabouts as he trudged up the path to The Golden Perch. What he needed now was a place to rest, and to drown himself in the ale.

Fain entered the inn, and sat at the nearest empty table. Some of the patrons looked at the Dwarf suspiciously, like they were expecting some kind of mischief. Fain couldn't figure out what the cause was, he had never been here before. In fact he had been gone from the Shire since two days after Maikaalph never returned.

He ordered an ale and remembered the past as he waited for it. He had been all over, from Rivendell to Mirkwood, and even Lothlorien, Rohan, and Gondor searching for his old friend. Yet any leads turned up dead. Now he was back where it all began, hoping that maybe there would be some trace of the elf.

His ale arrived, and Fain spent a moment staring into its confines. He shook his head, which ruffled the neat brown beard of his. After another moment, he threw his head back and took a long swallow. Maybe something will happen to help me...