View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #502
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Daisy:

For a short time, Daisy considered getting angry at her brother. Why had he suggested they hide in the cellar if he already knew there were a series of mazelike tunnels where they could get lost? But the real uncertainty and concern she heard in her brother's voice prevented her from responding sharply. Instead, she reached out, took his hand. and confided, "Don't worry. We're in luck. This morning, I was helping Granny make beeswax candles. She gave me two to carry home to mother along with a brand new flint. Once we get some light in here, I'm sure we'll find our way out."

Tom breathed a long sigh of relief as Daisy prepared to dig into the small pouch where she always hid her treasures. For several minutes, she fumbled at her belt, her fingers searching frantically. It took a while for her to realize that her pouch was not in its accustomed place. Instead, there was only a long string, torn and dangling, with no pouch attached.

Realization flooded over Daisy as she remembered the earlier episode when she had been helping to tug open the door. She blurted out her fears to her brother, "Tom, I don't think I have it. The candles, I mean. We were at the door and the side of my skirt caught on a nail. I heard my skirt rip. At least I thought it was my skirt. Only it must have been my pouch. It's gone....my pouch and everything in it, including the candles and the flint. Everything must be lying back there on the ground beside the trap door...."

"We're lost then. We're really lost," her brother moaned.

"Yes, I am afraid we are."