View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
Boromir's words regarding the ring are taken almost verbatim from the book, just put in a different place. This is a MARVELLOUS scene, showing the power of the Ring, and also setting up Boromir's feelings towards the Ring that culminate in the scene at Parth Galen. It sets this scene up perfectly. It's definately not wasting time!~Essex
Yes, that's what this scene does, but if we look at it from a broaderperspective what's the purpose? To show the Ring's power and Boromir's "corruption" towards it. But, my point is we don't need this scene to show this, Galadriel only spells it out for us in Lorien. We already see at the Council what he wants to use the Ring for, we get to Lorien we see Galadriel talk to Frodo about it. There really is no purpose for this scene, as it just goes to show what has already been established, or what later will be established. It adds nothing further to the movie then what has/will be seen, so (in my opinion) it serves no purpose. I think this scene could be cut (without losing the Ring's power in corrupting Boromir-because it's clearly shown later), and the time used could have been used to explain something else.