View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 06:34 AM   #34
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvegil145 View Post
I don't know - the First Age lasting c. 14,000 years is still way too long for my taste. While it's true that Tolkien stated that the Ages got progressively shorter as time went on, a jump from the 'First Age = 14,000 years' to the 'Second Age = 3,441 years' is a bit extreme.

Frankly, I much prefer your c. 6,000 years figure in your attempt to devise a 'final' timeline of the First Age. But, after all, that's just my personal preference.
... okay, I need to check this. Working backwards:

NoME 1.XIII.1 - Quendi awake VY 850, VY = 144 years. Finding VY 864 (2016).
XVII.3 - last scheme, Finding FA 2016, March ca. 2232.
XIII.2A - explicitly marks the Awakening as "First Age Begins".
XVII.2 - Trees destroyed VY 888, "if the Awakening were c. 800", this is where the 13,000 year figure comes from.

So yes, that was wrong. XD The First Age starts in VY 850 with the Awakening, and the Trees die in VY 888. My 'Final Timeline' is correct.

So Men awaken in 866, some 3100 years before the death of the Trees. The dwarves... well, it's difficult, because I always thought the dwarves came before Men, but your quote would have them waking about 3 VY after Men. I don't think those two figures can fit together.

hS