View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #797
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
"I must be getting old," said Wynflaed, as Lilige carefully hung her dress away. "I do not recall my back aching this much since I bore Aedre."

"You do not look it," said Athanar. He was sitting at the edge of the bed, but his eyes were alight with thought.

"You flatter me, husband. Lilige, that is all I will need you for tonight; I know you must be weary from the day's events as well. I will call you should I require anything."

Lilige curtsied and left the room.

Wynflaed sighed. She had not seen Athanar very much that day, and while that could be typical in a day's work at court, so much of the day had dragged on...

After Saeryn had told Athanar of Lithor's desertion, the two of them had gone back to the kitchens and begun to muster the effort for when the searchers would return--plenty of hot broth, with barley thrown in for good measure. Then there was the general bustle of trying to keep everyone calm, getting the stables ready for the return of the riders, and even trying to find a stout store-room in case the runagates were found and needed to be locked up.

"Is aught wrong?"

"Hm?" Wynflaed turned to look at Athanar, and then sat next to him on the bed. "No, I was merely woolgathering. I had wished to acquaint myself with the household, but I did not think I should have to do so this soon--or this suddenly."

"Mishaps are what bring out the genius in a general." He brought his hand to the back of her neck and began to rub it.

"Aye," said Wynflaed. "And you did most marvellously today, especially at the feast. I only wish I could have done more."

"You kept things running--"

"--I and the Lady Saeryn--"

"--and that is what matters."

"Well," Wynflaed said, rising, "I do not expect tomorrow to be much easier than today. I can see your mind is still working, but I am weary. Let us discuss what is to be done in the morning--and do not stay up too late with your plans!"

But Wynflaed could not tell if Athanar had heeded her advice or not, for she slept not too long after she laid her head on the pillow.