View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Knowing the spiteful nature of Sauron, who better than a Númenórean (ie., the WitchKing of Angmar) to seek retribution against the realms of Arnor? I would assume the three Númenórean Nazgul were rebels and lords of Umbar. I don't give much stock in the WitchKing being a Haradrim, considering most of the northern area of the Haradwaith was controlled by Black Númenóreans (first referred to as the King's Men) during the time Sauron conceivably handed out the Rings.
Well my confession is that I always imagined the Witch-king as a Númenórean too, but sometimes it pays to analyze and challenge one's assumptions.

I think circumstantiallly it makes sense for him to be one. Perhaps related to the royal family, a younger son or cousin, with strong ideas about how he could do better but little experience, on his first trip to Middle-earth as part of a tribute expedition. All conjectural fan-fiction.

On the other hand picture a Haradrim warlord, long under the sway of Sauron, steeped in sacrifice and dark sorceries, who's mighty ****ed at these upstart Númenóreans coming over and trying to extract tribute, when along comes opportunity in the shape of a Ring of Power into his possession.

See what I mean? Both are equally valid given what Tolkien wrote.

However:

Umbar wasn't founded until after the Nazgul first appeared, so that timeline is all wrong. Also, Angmar was Third Age but the Nazgul appeared in the Second, so I can't see that being a motive. I'd be more inclined to expect the WK to be a corrupted Faithful than a BN in origin too.

Last edited by mhagain; 05-11-2014 at 12:29 PM.
mhagain is offline   Reply With Quote