View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
The importance of Tolkien's minor characters

One of the great things about Lord of the Rings is Tolkien’s use of minor characters inasmuch as they have important, sometimes critical, parts to play.

For example:

Gaffer Gamgee – (unwittingly) sends a Black Rider off to Buckleberry because he thought Sam and Frodo had already left Hobbiton. No Gaffer, no Lord of the Rings (well from page 82 onwards anyway!)

Fatty Bolger – stalls a number of Black Riders at Crickhowell, aiding Frodo’s escape from the Shire

Radagast the Brown – unwittingly helps to defeat Saruman’s plans by passing on Gandalf’s request to animals that he requires information at Isengard. Without this, Gandalf would have remained imprisoned in Orthanc, with dire consequences.

Tom Bombadil – hardly minor, but without him perhaps no Merry and Pippin, or at least no Numenorean Sword for Merry to help defeat the Witch King with.

Glorfindel and Asfaloth. What would have happened without the Elf to assist driving the black riders into the river, and Asfaloth to rush Frodo to Rivendell?

Erkenbrand. No Erkenbrand and his men, no victory at Helm’s Deep.

Ghan buri Ghan – No Ride of the Rohirrim, they would have been waylaid or stalled until it was too late to assist Gondor.

Beregond – Halts some of the guards’ attempts in bringing Faramir to a grissly end at Rath Dinen. Without him, the line of the Stewards may have come to a halt.

And, of course, Bill the Pony. How far could have Frodo got during his almost 2 week voyage from weathertop without Bill to carry him?

I've probably missed loads, but I put it to you that the forces of 'good' would not have suceeded if perhaps one or two of the minor characters above had not intervened?

What I'm trying to say is what an amazing, intricate, well thought out plot LOTR has.

Your thoughts?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote