View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #2215
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That is a fun idea Formy, Nogrod. Will Nain be invited to the council to watch, or is this strictly a human matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Even the Vikings were more civil.
I'll bite my tongue with that remark.

But since you brought up Vikings, they used a method called Jernbyrd 'carrying of (hot) iron' (Old Norse: Járnburdr). The Christian church introduced the Vikings to ordeal by fire. The most common method was to grab a piece of iron from boiling water and walk 9 paces with it carrying it in ones hands. This way of deciding the truth outlived the Viking Age. Inga from Varteig in 1218 'carried iron' to prove her son Håkon Håkonsson (king of Norway 1217 - 1263) was the rightful heir to the throne of Norway. In a way it makes sense. Why would a dishonest man risk burning his hand in a boiling water? A man with the truth on his side will always be more willing to endure hardship than a lier. But this is somewhat irrelevant, unless this is used as a way to ensure who is right when two conflicting views come up.

Another punishment, however, which involves no physical punishment (in a way) is a temporary outlawment of the offender. Eric the Red was an outlaw (twice I think it was) for his crimes. I am just thinking out loud now. Do what you like.

Anyway, looking forward to Nogrod's post.

P.S. Thanks for you defence of the Middle-Ages, Gwathagor.