View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #17
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
In ROTK, Frodo puts on the Ring at the Sammath Naur, and claims it for his own.

Immediately Sauron is aware of him and knows exactly where he is. Somehow he feels / hears the claim (the Ring is a "telephone" of sorts; possessing his own will and part of his being it is always connected to Sauron).

Now, it could possibly be said that Gollum had claimed the Ring long before, calling it "mine" and "My Precious", and so forth. Gollum had also worn the Ring very many times during his keeping of it, while he was under the Misty Mountains and Sauron the Necromancer was gathering his strength in Mirkwood just across the Anduin.

So, why wasn't Sauron aware of Gollum the way he was later aware of Frodo? Yes, the Ring was at the apex of its power at Mt. Doom, but still: how did Sauron miss Gollum having it?
Interesting topic! Gollum claimed the Ring many times calling it *mine*. But he did so as if he were a "companion" of it, and did not try to "master" it. Gollum's claiming was more like an addiction instead of a powerful challenge. And I agree with those who said Frodo challenged Sauron by claiming the Ring. It was a sort of challenge as if he had challenged Sauron's kingship(?) and his powers, unlike Gollum who simply possessed it, and used it for mischievous deeds. Ring contained a big part of Sauron; when Gollum had the Ring, both Sauron and his part, Ring that is, were weak. We are not told if Sauron never noticed this (Gollum), are we? Perhaps he did but was too weak to take an action. While in The Cracks of Doom, Ring and its Master were at their strongest. Frodo from the naive, simple Hobbit had become a powerful spirit, and he challenged Sauron to become the Lord of the Rings by saying, "The Ring is mine."