View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #71
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Bali had talked to several men from Gondor; and all wished to come and fight for Erebor. One of them, Haliro, was a man from the tower guard. He had been sent north on a special errand, but had finished his task and was willing to lend his sword the aid the dwarves.

Bali had also met a Ranger, known as Belfalod. He was a young man, about Kaldon's age, who wore a heavy brown cloak around him. He had piercing green eyes and short blond hair.

The warrior was eager to go on the journey, for he claimed to be heading east anyway. Bali saw the heavy bow and double quiver-set the man carried, but did not notice the pair of daggers kept behind his belt.

After making arrangements with his new followers, Bali returned to his seat at the back of the inn, poring over old maps and marking out routes. Eruantalon sat down with him.

"Erulon, this is my plan for our journey after we leave Bree. We head due west through the wastlelands, but turn south slightly to miss that marsh. Then we continue west, passing through weathertop, and at last reaching Rivendell. Few elves live there now to my knowledge, but some remain, as do dwarves and other folk. We will leave our horses and wagon there, and continue on foot.

After that our journey becomes perilous once more. We travel northwest for a day before we reach Caradhras. Then you come in, for I know you have made the journey over the pass before."

Erulon looked over the map closely. "Bali, I think it would be wise to keep our course south of the marsh, and stay far from weathertop. Its name among the dúnedain is black."

"Why would you say so? I know little of it other then that it is a place with shelter."

Eruantalon was now watching the entrance to the inn. A small group of the local guard had entered the common room, armed with short swords and stalves. It was obvious that they were looking for someone. "Bali, do you think that someone in our group has stirred up trouble?"

The dwarf eyed them, but sat back soon and sipped his ale. "I doubt it, but there is always the possibility. Probably nothing to worry about."