Thread: Ever Wonder...
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #54
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
I was caught by that too-- what I didn't realize (until after I had written about it) but there were only three NOLDORIN unions of elves and men. Tolkien doesnt count the silvan unions.
Eh? Since when was Lúthien a Noldo?

However, the actual line (LotR Appendix A) is "There were three unions of the Eldar and the Edain". Not all Elves are Eldar. Tolkien later (see History of Galadriel and Celeborn) cast the Silvan Elves as descendants of the Nandor, thus Eldar– but this wasn't so at time he wrote the Appendices to Lord of the Rings. In "Of the Elves" (Appendix F), it's stated that "The Elves far back in the Elder Days became divided into two main branches: The West-elves (the Eldar) and the Eastelves. Of the latter kind were most of the elven folk of Mirkwood and Lórien..."

Apart from that, the marriage of Mithrellas and Imrazôr is presented as more of a tale than an historical fact: "The legend of the prince's line", "the tradition of his house" etc. (History of G & C again). So maybe it's supposed to be off-the-record because nobody's sure if it really happened.