View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Personally, I felt this episode took a step back from the previous two. It does feel like more of a "set up" episode for all the characters and storylines that are about to converge. So, that still has my interests piqued.

But Arondir has so very thick plot armor. I don't know how Halbrand suddenly got released from jail. Was that part of the "judgement" with Galadriel returning to M-E?

I dislike Elrond coming off as a manipulative and slimy politician type. I mean he manipulated Galadriel to take the boat ride, he manipulated Durin and Disa with his "well I think it's time for me to go. I don't want to intrude" act in Episode 2. He sounds sincere in wanting to restore a friendship with Durin, but then previews for Episode 5 show him passing on the mithril to Celebrimbor. I suppose in a twisted lore way he does manipulate Aragorn into claiming the throne of Gondor in order to "win" his daughter. I think I've always been struck by his introduction in The Hobbit, being wise, strong, venerable, but also "kind as summer." A lurking, manipulative politician doesn't fit my own views. I'm not sure if it's just the way Robert Aramayo is delivering the lines, but he sounds creepy and slimy. It's not a kind and friendly demeanor that Hugo Weaving gave us.

Having said this, I'm trying to approach the series with Huey's post in another thread in mind. That any change to a character, or story, can work if it's consistent and makes sense within the context of the adaptation. This isn't the final product, not even close to that point yet, and the series is doing a good job of maintaining my interests. There are still several positives in the episode, as well.

Similar to Lal, I like seeing the political turmoil building within Numenor. I like Pharazon the populist, appealing to the crowd's dislike of the Elves. That was a clever stump speech, appealing to the valor and pride of Numenor. In contrast to Miriel's appeal of the faith of the Valar's blessing. These divisions will go on to rip Numenor apart and that is a fascinating story. (In the Episode 5 preview, I believe that was Pharazon telling Isildur "when this is over, the Elves will work for us.")

The visual of the great wave flooding Numenor was again stunning.

One more quick thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form
"Dead brother!" Anárion is... dead? AND his older brother? Well, this doesn't bode well for the Line of Anárion, I must say.
I believe the one friend said, "dead mother." I'm assuming Anarion is still alive and is somewhere in the West of Middle-earth. I watched the previous episode again before watching the new one, and the whole deferment for a year went something like this.

Elendil: What does your brother having to do with this?
Isildur: Nothing
Earien: Well, more than nothing
Elendil: I told you nothing awaits us on the western shores (something like that)

Isildur's friends are named Valandil and Imrahil. So, that I find interesting. I wonder if they have some larger part to play in future seasons?