View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #112
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
“What was so urgent that you sent a messenger to intrude on my well-deserved sleep?” The words exploded from Tinar’s lips, though he was careful to avoid speaking so loudly that others outside the room could hear them. “I was awake long last night, speaking with my mother!”

Korpúlfr pushed a cup of coffee across the table. “Drink this first, though I do not think you need it to wake up. Now, have you already had breakfast?”

Tinar shook his head, accepting the plate that Korpúlfr offered him and filling it with fruits, meats and bread. He ate with the appetite of youth, and his friend allowed him time to calm down before speaking. Then Kor leaned forward and said, “The Gondorians know of our people!” He watched Tinar, satisfied to see his eyes widen in astonishment.

“B- but how…?” the younger man stammered.

“How do they know? I cannot say for sure, though it seems that they have encountered a Maenwaith somewhere. How do I know? I overheard the northern captain asking a wood carver at the market about shapechangers. When the trader answered that they are only myth, he insisted that they exist in truth.”

He waited for a moment to allow the importance of the information to sink in, then continued, “I have already sent a message to my father so that he can be prepared should anyone find our people out. But your mother needs to know as well. Will you tell her? I will bring my wares to the foreign ship and see if I can find out more. I had thought to take you along, but perhaps you should inform Wyrma as fast as possible.”

“They seemed so friendly,” Tinar mused. “If they were to find out about us, what would they do? Would they be allies or enemies?”

“I do not know, nor do I wish to find out,” Korpúlfr answered darkly. “The less strangers know about us, the better it is for our people. Let us hope that your mother does not trust Falasmir overly much.”

“I do not think that my mother trusts any stranger,” Tinar said simply. “When she hears this, she will take even more care that none find us out.” Wistfully, he looked out of the window to the white-sailed ship in the port and sighed. “You are right, I should go and tell her first. Will you tell me all that you find out at the ship?”

“Of course,” Kor smiled. Both rose to leave, grasping each other’s hands in farewell. As Tinar left the house to walk back to the palace, he looked unusually thoughtful. Already he sought to find the right words for a report to his mother. Would she be angry at the northern strangers?