View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #83
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Tinar had listened to Airefalas’ account of his home city with an enthusiasm that went deeper than the mere curiosity he used to reach his goal. When he had impulsively said that he liked mountains, he had surprised himself – his only actual sighting of mountains had been long ago, on a flight with his mother. Somehow, they must have impressed him so much that the memory had remained with him, though he had not realized that until now.

However, that did not distract him so much that he answered heedlessly when Airefalas asked him about his identity. As the youngest of Wyrma’s sons, he had learned early that it was not prudent to reveal all that he thought or knew. His three brothers usually treated him with the amused tolerance that older lions might show a little cub, but he observed the embittered rivalry between them. They sought out each other’s weak points with the doggedness of a hunting hound and used them to humiliate and defeat one another. He would not give a stranger, friendly though he might be, any information which might give him an advantage over him.

“No, I am not related to Lord Falasmir,” he answered. “I am here to visit for a time and come from a people who live farther out in the desert,” he continued rather vaguely. At that moment, he was relieved to see his mother motioning to him to return. Apparently Lord Falasmir was leaving the hall with his entourage. He bowed politely, saying, “May you have a safe journey back to your home; perhaps I shall see it one day!”

“I would welcome your visit there,” Airefalas returned warmly. He watched as the young man was swept away with the courtiers and their Lord, noticing that he spoke with the stern woman. What could their connection be? he wondered idly, but soon forgot the incident.

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

Now Tinar was sitting in his mother’s room, telling her all about the city of the North. He felt a boyish delight at having her all to himself and listening to him so intently. It did not occur to him to wonder why she would be so interested in a city far away that had nothing to do with them. Perhaps she was only attempting to learn more of city life; he knew how important the young desert settlement was to her. And she might be desirous of trading with the Northerners – if they were indeed no longer foes.

When he finally went to his own quarters, he was tired, yet elated after a day that had been more eventful than most that he had experienced before. He tried to remember all that had happened, but soon fell asleep. His dreams were filled with foreign lands, towering mountains, walled cities, and a white-sailed ship…

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:32 AM January 29, 2004: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'