View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 02:29 AM   #456
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Since I am never knowingly without a thought on symbolism: in Wind, Amarie has lines like "Listen: When I call your name the whole wood sings!" and "I call to thee / As the daylight fades beneath the trees." (Both fairly faithfully translated.) I wonder if this is a deliberate echo of the Lay of Leithian:

Again she fled, but swift he came.
Tinúviel! Tinúviel!
He called her by her elvish name;
And there she halted listening.

That moment doesn't seem to happen in the Zong: it's implied by both Meeting and Dream that Luthien found Beren, not the other way round. But their relationship canonically began with Beren calling her name in the woods - and now Amarie is calling Finrod's name in the woods to try and renew their own bond. It feels deliberate.

It also makes me think of a scene Tolkien didn't write, but I would expect him to if he'd gotten that far: the full version of Beren's healing:

But this wound was fell and poisonous. Long Beren lay, and his spirit wandered upon the dark borders of death, knowing every an anguish that pursued him from dream to dream. Then suddenly, when her hope was almost spent, he woke again, and looked up, seeing leaves against the sky; and he heard beneath the leaves singing soft and slow beside him Lúthien Tinúviel. And it was spring again.

Is it too much to imagine that in Tolkien's plan, this final healing would have been a mirror to their first meeting: with Luthien calling Beren's name in the woods, to summon him back from the edge of death?

hS