View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
We have at the beginning of the chapter another example of the story-telling technique Tolkien used for the arrival of the Rohirrim at the Pelennor fields. He gives the story up to the critical point first from one point of view, then from another; then he continues from the critical point from one point of view and then from the other. In this way, he is able to take the same event and make use of it four times; he maximizes the use he gets out of it.

Thus, in book V, he tells up to the arrival of the Rohirrim first from the viewpoint of the people of Minas Tirith, then from the viewpoint of the Rohirrim; and then he continues with the story first from the point of view of the Rohirrim and then from that of the characters in Minas Tirith.

He has told up to the point of eucatastrophe from the perspective of the army in the last chapter of book V. Then he switched to Frodo and Sam and told up to the same point in chapter 3 of book VI. Now in chapter 4 he carries on from the same point, first from the perspective of the army and then from that of Frodo and Sam. This is an interesting technique and, I think, it demonstrates Tolkien's supreme skill in the handling of a story. Every change in viewpoint seems to come at exactly the right moment.

We have with the arrival of the eagles not only a reminder of The Hobbit but also of The Silmarillion. As a matter of fact, the eagles recall two moments in the Silmarillion. The more obvious is the eucatastrophe of that work, the coming of Earendil and the eagles to defeat Ancalagon and win the War of Wrath. But there is a more specific connection here with the tale of Beren and Luthien; Gwaihir and Landroval were the two eagles that accompanied Thorondor to rescue Beren and Luthien from the gate of Thangorodrim. This resonates with Sam's earlier observation that he and Frodo are part of the same story as Beren and Luthien.

A small point that I just noticed re-reading this chapter: Gandalf says to Gwaihir, 'Twice you have borne me'. This must refer to his escape from Orthanc and his journey from Zirak-Zigil after the battle with the Balrog. But this would mean that the "lord of the eagles" from The Hobbit was not in fact Gwaihir.

As for the rest of the chapter - in my opinion, this is perhaps the greatest evocation of pure joy in literature. Estelyn points out that:

Quote:
"Is everything sad going to come untrue?" No, this is no fairy-tale; though there is a happy ending, it is not absolute nor comprehensive.
And Davem wrote:

Quote:
Yet we seem to see a change in Frodo when the two rescued Hobbits awaken in Ithilien. He laughs, & calls Sam ‘Sleepyhead’. He seems almost his old self again. But this is an illusion - its almost as if he himself has forgotten that he has no hope, being caught up in Sam’s joy. Soon, though, he will remember.
Now, both of these things are obviously true, at least in some sense. But I think there is a danger of focusing too much on the tragedy and loss in LotR. It is not an absolutely happy ending, but it is quite close to one. Sauron has been defeated. The kingship of Gondor will soon be restored. Many years of prosperity will follow for most of the good people.

Nor do I think that Frodo's recovery is entirely illusory. He has lost something, and his wounds will not heal in Middle-earth. But he is far better off now, far healthier in mind and spirit, than he was in the preceding weeks. He is capable of joy again.

In short, I don't think that any of the bad things that are to follow cancel or even mitigate the pure joy, the triumph, of the Field of Cormallen. Here (though of course, only here), Frodo and Sam are given the honour they deserve. Both Aragorn (king of Men) and Gandalf (emissary of the Valar) humble themselves before the Hobbits:

Quote:
And then to Sam's surprise and utter confusion he [Aragorn] bowed his knee before them
Quote:
and Gandalf, as if he were their esquire, knelt and girt the sword-belts around them, and then rising he set circlets of silver upon their heads.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote