View Single Post
Old 05-13-2002, 10:27 AM   #166
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Woof! i knew that post about characters would provoke a response, but that was incredible! Wonder if i can top that...

i did have to create one character for the sole purpose of killing him off, so i made certain that he would meet his fate in a way that would seem "in character" with him and also result in a pivotal plot point for the others (what he does is descend into a mine to bring back some radioactive fuel rock, and he finds an artifact down there that another character needs but wouldn't otherwise get, since he doesn't have the gear & expertise to go down there himself) Thus Dietmar passes, mainly from exhaustion, since he's technically retired from mining (in a radiation-resistant suit of powered armor) but he's the only one at the plant who isn't already too busy, so he goes. i guess you could extract a "noble sacrifice" motif out of that...

But those two who started an argument last week about who had the right to call the shots when they should have been getting ready to receive a charging group of about 100 red-eyed monsters, now THAT was something else! Pure wicked play-Deity-with-these-puppets authorial glee! (already confessed, one of those characters isn't mine -- the other was worked up from an old GM-avatar i used to use, so yes, I knew when i was looking at 'him', "do you realize who you're messing with, buster" and of course he didn't, which made it all that more fitting that he should react the way he did. i'd like to think i'm playing him true to conception -- i guess when it gets into a readable state and others' input starts pouring in, i'll find out, maybe even put his ultimate fate to a vote, should these two ride off into the sunset together, or should she smite his impudent head off?)

As for the theology angle, well... from a gamer's perspective, i'd have to agree! (Hmm... now what other deep thoughts can i toss out here? How about, some down-time character development chatter is allowable, to give the readers a chance to catch their breath and maybe fill in their notes about your world, cast, and motives? There is something to be said for exposition, as more than just the characters need to be filled in...)

s.t.

|_|) <-- fill up those tankards with your choice -- mine, for all the scrupulously honorable young folks out there, is root beer -- and i'm a contemporary of Faramir.
Skoal!