View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #295
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Formendacil, a brilliant observation. Remember the mysterious green hue on the hill when the Fellowship were assailed by Wargs? Possibly Sting related; maybe Sting was an especially mighty sword, powerful enough to call for help from the hilltops, such was the danger the Fellowship faced at that time.

My search for a tale thus far has been entertaining; Elrond's libraries are highly interesting. Though, of course, you have to be wary enough to sift through the lies that Elrond spreads when Wargs are the the topic. Remember that this thread throws doubt on Elrond's nobility that you don't usually find in books on Tolkien.
Don't forget that Glamdring was also on that hill, and as it said to have been the sword of the king (Turgon), it must have been a mighty sword.

I seem to recall a reference in the Book of Extra-Lost Tales that there was an alliance between the Wargs and the Gondolindrim. I think that the greenish-hue on the swords was a way for the Elves to know when their allies were coming to aid them.

As I recall, the reason Gondolin fell was that the Wargs were delayed from coming to their assistance as they were guarding Elwing and Silmaril's journey to the sea. Earendil always held this against them, although it was entirely an accident, the fault of the forces of Morgoth, and it may explain Elrond's antipathy towards the Wargs, in part. The Wargs were also not present when the Feanorians sacked the Havens, because they were busy holding off the massive host of Morgoth that was coming against them. A greater threat than the Feanorians, but Elrond WAS very attached to his mother...

I'm pretty sure this is the case. The Book of Extra-Lost Tales IS written in an obscure branch of Nandorin, so it's devilishly hard to be certain what they are saying, but this seems to be the conclusive explanation.