View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Ah. Paperback writers have it so rough don't they? Perhaps CT objects to people wanting to use the Tolkien name merely to give an air of importance and credibility to an otherwise inferior product? This'll no doubt come as a shock, but I'm not all that fussed about this.
Perhaps I see a difference between a) 'X' not wanting the 'X' name used merely to give an air of importance and credibility to an otherwise inferior product & b) burning books.

Perhaps, as this kind of thing becomes more & more the norm (not just CT & the Estate, but others following in their wake) we'll eventually get to the burning of something you will find yourself 'fussed about'?

What right, exactly, does CT & the Estate have to start censoring whatever they don't approve of, demanding that those things be destroyed? None of this is about publishing copyrighted material, merely about using a person who has been dead more than a quarter of a century as a character in a novel.

This is NOT about the quality of this particular book - I've bought it but don't know if I'll get around to finishing it - it may be the most dreadful thing ever written, but why does that make it acceptable to destroy it?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote