View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #24
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
What a *long* day this is for the Hobbits: they wake up in a Barrow, they get rescued by Tom Bombadil, run around naked in the grass, march all day over Arthedain's dikes to the East Road, encounter a new village, have the whole crazy adventure of Frodo putting on the Ring *in public*, have two after-hours secret conversations, lose Merry and get him back, find out that the Black Riders are back, and have to change beds (which turns out to be a good things...).
Obviously, the imprisonment in the Barrow couldn't have lasted very long; just enough time to strip all of hobbits, except Frodo, and reclothe them in white.

You do have to feel sorry for poor Frodo, with both Strider and Butterbur wanting to talk to him before bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
All in all, this is one of my favourite chapters. The snippets of history in the description of Bree and the insight into the wider world of Eriador and beyond is wonderful, mixed in with one of my favourite minor characters (Barliman Butterbur) and an introduction to a favourite main character (Strider).
I like the way the description of Bree seems to momentarily revert to the earlier, more lighthearted tone used before The Shadow of the Past. Once last look at a place of order and peace, before running off into the wild.