View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Aiwendil and everyone, thank you, I happened to read it wrong, and through rereading I can "see clearly now." In fact, Aiwendil I like the point you made about Caradhras.

Quote:
But in the book the storm has the important function of providing depth, and thus believability, to Middle-earth.

As with the Old Forest and the Barrow-downs, we find that not all evil can be directly traced to Sauron. But more than that, it characterizes Middle-earth. For Tolkien, as some have observed elsewhere, the physical landscape is itself a kind of character. It has its own personality (or personalities); it can aid or obstruct our protagonists; it is a real presence that must be dealt with, the same as any character. The story of the attempted passage of Caradhras is the story of the defeat of a powerful wizard, a king, a warrior, an elf, a dwarf, and four hobbits by nature itself. It's foreshadowed earlier in the chapter
Good point, as been discussed before The Old Forest is sort of this magical place, seperate from the rest of Middle-Earth, it has this mystical feeling. As cited out by Tuor and Aiwendil it does seem as if Caradhras has this mind/will of its own. Very similar to that of The Ring, it offers people it's greatest desires. And once it's done with one person, it moves on to another. It also seems to have a will of it's own.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote