View Single Post
Old 08-15-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
1420! LotR -- Book 1 - Chapter 09 - At the Sign of the Prancing Pony

This chapter begins with the history and description of Bree and its people, both Big and Little. Why do you think their peaceful coexistence was so unusual in Middle-earth? This section also includes the first definite information on the Rangers, this time from the point of view of the Bree-folk.

We are introduced to the Inn and Barliman Butterbur – rereading the chapter made me realize that I’d forgotten just how much that man talks! Most of the chapter is taken up with the account of the happenings in the common-room. It contains one long poem/song, ‘There is an inn’. The events end catastrophically, and we wonder (at least at first reading) which of the people are friends and which are foes.
Quote:
He [Frodo] began to suspect even old Butterbur's fat face of concealing dark designs.
What's your opinion on this chapter? Do you remember your first impressions on your initial reading of the book? What did you think of the new characters introduced here?

(This thread opens a day earlier than usual because of time constraints due to my absence this coming week. If a moderator is needed during that time, please contact Legolas. )
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote