View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
If not a Silmaril (like somebody said, too dangerous), then a Palantír would do fine. Not for using it to communicate (we have internet for that nowadays), but just for the sake of it. I just think it's a very beautiful object. And if it was the palantír of Orthanc, then also because of the people who used to wield it! (Namely, generations of wise Gondorian men, and most of all, Saruman and Pippin And briefly Gandalf. I don't care about Aragorn.) And I could use it to look around the world, just randomly, here and there, but probably just whenever I would feel like it (seems it was rather exhausting business). For this reason it probably also should not be the palantír of Minas Tirith, like Gandalf said, wouldn't exactly like to see that...

EDIT: Oh, but then there is of course Tuor's cloak. But then again, it would not last very long, I presume... so the Palantír is better in the end, I think.
if that was what you planned to do with the Palantir (and assuming that you were not limited to items known to still exist at the end of the Third Age), if you had the room, wouldn't the Osgiliath stone be preferable. A Palantir's size influences is range. I think the range of the little ones (like the Anor and Orthanc stones) was stated to be a little more than 600 miles. That's enough to see across the state or maybe the country (depending on which country you are thinking of) but around the world? For that, I think you'd need the mega stone.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote