View Single Post
Old 09-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #95
Rinfanawen
Wight

Rinfanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rinfanawen
Silmaril Diera

Diera crept slowly to the location she has selected to dig at. The snow covering the ice was so deep. Practically half of her tall, brown boots disappeared beneath the white blanket with every stride she took. Despite the fact that the wind was scarce, there was a deathly chill in the air. Standing in over a foot of snow did not help either. She was already beginning to experience why she especially did not like the cold. Nevertheless, she continued. Soon she approached her designated location. She threw her pickax on the ground while she rolled up the long sleeves of her blue shirt and brown, leather overcoat. Getting them wet with snow would not help come nightfall.

She bent down to grab her ax, her hands being covered by thick, animal-hide gloves. Diera struck the hidden ice firmly. Not even a crack was made...a small chip, maybe, have been broken off the top of the ice, but no breakthrough. She struck again with more force, but again with no luck. Obviously this will be harder than I imagined, she thought as she struck the ice again. I must hurry if ever I am to break through this glass. It very much was like glass, as well. It was a hard, cold glass that had been blurred and fogged by the frost. This would be a difficult task.

Diera began to chop away at the ice quickly, but with every swing she took, more and more snow and ice would fly up in her face. Eventually her arms, face, and legs were covered in snow that melted through her clothing. Even her hat now dripped onto her face. She stopped suddenly to notice a faint laugh in the distance. Turning, she saw Doyal, standing not too far away, mocking her condition. Diera lowered her eyelids in anger. Although he was only laughing in fun, not meaning to be cruel, Diera shot back a fierce frown. Doyal stopped laughing immediately and began digging his own hole once again.

“So much for staying dry,” Diera said to herself as she wiped the snow off her face. She rolled her sleeves down again, seeing they were wet already anyway, and continued hacking at the ice at a much slower pace.