View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 07:09 PM   #82
Rinfanawen
Wight

Rinfanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rinfanawen
Silmaril Diera

The sky had grown dark as a grim nightfall crept over the sea. Diera sat on the edge of the boat letting one leg hang over the side. She kept the other bent to where she could rest her arms and chin upon her knee. She sighed deeply. Their plan had been perfect. Nothing was going to go wrong. Nothing should have gone wrong, She thought in the depths of her foul mood. She looked out towards the land in anguish. She had failed. She had failed greatly, and now the Elves had escaped. “Despicable fiends,” she said aloud as if speaking to the Elves, but she knew none of them could hear her. It made her feel better though. Somehow, it just seemed to help.

Hardly any light could be seen on the shore. The pale light from the moon and stars cast dim shadows over some things upon the land. There never seemed to be enough light to make out distinct objects. She imagined what the shore looked like in daylight. Such a dreadful thought it was to her. Diera hated the land even more than she did the Elves. Feeling an ill feeling come over her, she stepped down from where she sat and laid on a bench nearby. The stars reflected in her dark eyes that night. Her sorrow-filled face glowed under the light of the moon.

Suddenly quick footsteps were heard on the deck and were followed by a friendly voice. “You look depressed,” Doyal commented as he approached.

Diera placed her wide-brimmed, brown hat firmly over her face. She sighed, “What would you know of it?” She turned her face to where one eye peered out from under the hat. She almost began to laugh at the comical expression on Doyal’s face.

“I know,” began Doyal, “that you are always depressed when things do not go as planned.”

“I am not,” argued Diera, hiding her face once again beneath the hat.

Doyal laughed. “Yes, you are. Just because you don’t show it half the time doesn’t mean you aren’t. I know you better than that.”

“Too well, I fear sometimes,” Diera said removing the hat from her face, and placing it atop her shoulder-length, brown hair. She sat up on the bench and let Doyal take a seat as well. Diera continued, “And I’m not depressed. I’m just frustrated.”

“Well, don’t be,” comforted Doyal. “It’s not your fault the Elves escaped, so stop beating yourself up over it. Besides, it’s wouldn’t be natural for Captain Marreth to give up so soon.”

Diera nodded in agreement, but a strange light on the ship caught her eye and her attention. What’s that? she thought, standing. The light flashed three times toward the land.

“What is it?” Doyal asked joining her.

Diera smiled wickedly. “A signal.”