View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #311
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lindir:

"Sire, I must speak, though I am loathe to do so." Lindir was the last of the group left in the chamber yet now felt like an intruder. It would have been better if Tasa's words of love and loyalty had been spoken elsewhere than in this public place.

Masking any discomfort that he felt, the Elf acknowledged Malris with a courteous nod and then bowed to take his leave. "Honor demands that I not accompany you, although part of me desires to see what or who awaits within the Tower, Still, I have a duty that cannot be laid aside. The Smith was not always as you see him today. In earlier times, he shared with me the secrets of his craft, generously offering wisdom and advice. I can not turn my back on him even now, despite his vile deed. It is not my place to judge what will happen once he steps within the halls of Mandos. I will leave that to those whose understanding exceeds my own."

"Sire, I ask permission to go and find the Smith's bones within this keep. I promise to find a safe resting place for them. For truthfully we do not know what fate awaits you and Tasa within that Tower, and whether you will come back this way again. I wish you the best but it would be a dishonorable thing for me to turn my back on the request that the Smith made."

His eyes and face full of sadness, Malris said that Lindir might take his leave, and the Smith told them where his bones could be found.

"My best to you, Tasa and Malris," Lindir added with a sigh. "This journey did not go quite as we had hoped, but I pray you may both find peace wherever your path takes you."

Then Lindir went out and did as he had promised, burying the bones on a high hill overlooking the stony harbor. He walked back to the ship, still grieving in his heart for all that had been lost, though acknowledging that he would return to Middle-earth to try and do what little he could.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-13-2006 at 01:38 AM.