View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 07:00 PM   #22
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

* * * * * Rhûn Nation * * * * *

Mislavini stood swiftly and threw his goblet to the floor where it shattered into many pieces.

“Who is this young pup that names me a chieftain?” he shouted loudly down at the startled Ulwyte. “Does he not know the difference between the Great Captain and a dirtly, stupid chief of a squalid little country of shepherds? Does he insult me? Where is my sword?”

Mislavini took a step forward toward the surprised and confused Ulwyte who stood shaking, wondering what he had done. He thought that Mislavini would strike or him, but he saw Kasteni rush forward.
Unfortunately for him, the Chief Advisor did not come to his aid.

“Bow down before your Great Captain, mongrel!” said Kasteni in a hateful voice. “This is not your father’s hut.”

Dismayed, Ulwyte dropped to one knee and bowed his head, awaiting a blow or kick from Mislavini. But the Great Captain and Kasteni had moved away and were in a heated but whispered conversation.

The other two warriors stood, waiting to see what would happen.

Kasteni and Mislavini continued to talk, and their voices soon turned to a calmer tone, showing that the Chief Advisor had somehow soothed the leader’s anger. Kasteni turned and looked to Ulwte.

“You may rise, young warrior. But do not speak again in this hall.”

He beckoned Lovek and Khuleln to stand beside the younge man and then moved to a place beside his lord.

Mislavini spoke.

“You have been summoned here to accompany the Chief Advisor on a journey. Kasteni will lead you into the heart of Westland where he will approach the new king of Stoneland and demand justice for the people of Ozren. He will be my voice, and you will be his sword, spear and bow. Now go.”

He sat back on his throne and Kasteni indicated they should leave. He bowed to the Great Captain and followed them through the tall doors and into the courtyard of the Keep. He looked at Ulwyte who still looked stunned at Mislavini’s unexpected fury.

“That was stupid. Your father is a chieftain, and perhaps to you he is a great man. But Mislavini is the Great Captain, and to him your father and all chieftans are his subordinates, lesser men who live to serve him. You are lucky he was not armed.”

He looked at Lovek and said, “Take these two and lead them to the western chariot stables at the far side of the city. There you will find my chariot and horses and provisions for our journey. Prepare them and have everything ready for our departure from the city by noon tomorrow. Is that clear?”