View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #3411
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
More evidence--as if any were needed--of Britain's grisly past and a salutary reminder of the madness of 'ethnic cleansing'.

Rune's signature is particularly apt for those Downers who attend Oxonmoot, for St. Frideswide--in whose church the Danish families sought sanctuary--is by persistent legend credited with founding Oxford and there are several sites in the town that still bear witness to her story.

The daughter of a Mercian king and vowed to chastity, she resisted a particularly vulgar and insistent suitor by blinding him with a thunderbolt. She restored his sight with water from a well that miraculously appeared, a well that still exists in the churchyard in Binsley. St. Frideswide died in Oxford in 727.

Between the choir and the north aisle in the cathedral that replaced her priory is her shrine. (Nothing I think commemorates the atrocity against the Danish dead.) According to my Insight Guide to Oxford, that shrine is Oxford's heart and beginning.

A link to this part of Oxford's history: Massacre at St. Frideswide's

Perhaps it's worth a walk next Oxonmoot to see.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-14-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote