View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #3409
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Interesting quote regarding the St. Brice's Day Massacre, Rune -- a little known but brutal event in English history. You have to sympathize with the Danes; however, one also must look at the brutal raids conducted by the Danes against the English for several consecutive years that precipitated that event as well. I don't believe the word detente had been used at that period in time.

A horrifying but 'well-justified' entry regarding the burning of Danes inside St. Fridewide's church in Oxford apears in a royal charter of 1004:

''[Since a] decree was sent out by me with the counsel of my leading men and magnates, to the effect that all the Danes who had sprung up in this island, sprouting like cockle amongst the wheat, were to be destroyed by a most just extermination, and thus this decree was to be put into effect even as far as death, those Danes who dwelt in the afore-mentioned town, striving to escape death, entered this sanctuary of Christ, having broken by force the doors and bolts, and resolved to make refuge and defence for themselves therein against the people of the town and the suburbs; but when all the people in pursuit strove, forced by necessity, to drive them out, and could not, they set fire to the planks and burnt, as it seems, this church with its ornaments and its books. Afterwards, with God's aid, it was renewed by me.''

The rebuilt church is now called Christ Church Cathedral, although I am not sure Christ would have approved of the building.