View Single Post
Old 11-15-2002, 09:29 AM   #21
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

littlemanpoet: I see the "Are you writing serious fantasy?" thread was started by you. Apparently you have personally taken offense. I meant no disrespect to you or the intent of your thread. Upon looking back, I should not have included that thread in the "snobbery and hypocracy" statement. I apologize for my mistake. I have not made it through all of the posts, but everyone seems to be talking about their own writing and not condemning published authors for showing their Tolkien influences. I got revved up over some things said in the "Kalessin's Rant" and in "The Tolkien Template" threads and failed to separate your thread from them.

You are mistaking my intent. I felt that some of the IDEAS I read were snobbish and hypocritical. An agressive choice of words, I will grant you that. If you will note I also said "well meant" and "with good intentions". I think people get so passionate and zealous for Tolkien that they allow their feelings to close their minds to other good writing

Quote:
you adhere to yourself discourtesy and uncharitableness;
You cannot cite anything in my post that was discourteous. Uncharitable perhaps, to the extent that I disagree with some of the things that were said. At most I am guilty of challenging an opinion that is popular in the Barrow-Downs.

Quote:
If, Keneldil, your pallate is less discriminating than that of some of us, so much the better for you.
I daresay my "pallate" is at least as disciminatory as anyone elses. However, it does appear that my mind is more open than some, and yes that is to my advantage. At the bottom line openmindedness is the point of my argument. There is worthwhile material in the fantasy genre that does not have Tolkien's name on it. Today's authors do not deserve to be so harshly critisized for being influenced by the father of the modern incarnation of their art form.

Quote:
Please do not let that less discriminating pallate lead you to cast aspersions on those of us who, having tasted such delight, cannot stomach imitations that, missing key ingredients, turns our readerly stomachs.
I cast no aspersions on any person. I cast aspersions on the idea of accepting only one or two writers. Those who express such a narrow view do themselves a disservice, and they do this forum a disservice by perhaps influencing other members to ignore worthwhile works of fantasy fiction by authors other than Tolkien.

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Keneldil the Polka-dot ]

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Keneldil the Polka-dot ]