View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #27
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
It could be construed as irony that the person with the least Numenorean blood Boromir, acted the most like the Numenoreans described by Erendis unlike say Farimir or Aragorn where their Numenoreaness was apparently pure.
I like Alfirin's answer to that (see above)

Basically both Aragorn and Faramir were Gandalf's pupils, the former, in addition, was brought up among Elves. I would say Aragorn was rather "atypical" Numenorean. Denethor and Boromir anf even Faramir were the typical ones - only, contrary to Tar-Aldarion, brought up in times of war and peril.

Of course, even among Numenoreans of Numenor there were several varieties:

I. Wise, peaceful, bookish lore-masters: Vardamir Nolimon, Tar-Elendil (sire of the Lords of Andunie), Aldarion's father Tar-Meneldur, Tar-Minastir, and the last of them - Tar-Palantir.

II. Proud, ruthless king-warrior type soon became predominating : Tar-Aldarion, then a female variety of it: Tar-Ancalime and likely Tar-Telperien, then most certainly Tar-Ciryatan (who even constrained his father to retire early), Tar-Atanamir (like his father proud and greedy of wealth), Tar-Calmacil, Ar-Adûnakhôr, Ar-Gimilzôr and Ar-Pharazôn.

III. And with time there appeared a third type - irresponsible lazy-bones, mostly occupied with pursuit of their little personal hobbies.
I think Tar-Telemmaitë (the mithril-lover) was the first one of those and his daugther Tar-Vanimeldë was the finest example of this attitude: "She gave little heed to ruling, loving rather music and dance; and the power was wielded by her husband Herucalmo" (this one of the 2st type, I bet). Some later Kings that left very little line in the Annales may have been of this ilk as well.

And - an interesting thing- in the history of Gondor we see these three types all over again.
Elendil (I type), Isildur (II), Anarion (I-?) Meneldil (II), Tarannon Falastur (II). Hyarmendacil I (II). Atanatar II Alcarin ‘the Glorious' was the first of the lazy-bones (III), Narmacil I (III). Minalcar-Rómendacil, a great king and politician, was maybe of the I type, not the II, as he used political measures in preference to force. And Eärnur the last King was clearly of the II type.

Maybe type I and II go back to Elrond and Elros respectively (of the latter we unfortunately know little). Yet I guess, unlike Elrond, he was of the second type - a great proud ruler, who wanted power and glory here and now, who forsook immortality for the crown and lordship. His brother was content to become a herald of Gil-Galad, but Elros wanted more.

Of course, Faramir was of the first variety and Boromir of the second. Denethor is a more difficult case. I have a suspicion that born in the first variety, more alike to Faramir, he had schooled himself to act like he was of the second. That may have brought an additional mental strain on him throughout his life. But Denethor believed that in times of war the second type was more needed.

As for Aragorn, he is so "Elvish" in his ways that I really fail to classify him. Maybe he was like Denethor - the first variety guy, but quite modified. Maybe he was of the second variety, with its drawbacks softened by the Elvish schooling.

Last edited by Gordis; 03-25-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote