View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Kind of interesting that in the little piece by CT on the site he refers to Morgoth as 'the God', when Tolkien himself stopped calling the Valar 'gods' in the 20's/30's? And the statement that CoH 'became the dominant story in his later work on Middle-earth.' is intruiging. I wonder why CoH came to be the 'dominant story' rather than Beren & Luthien? Or even Tuor & the Fall of Gondolin?

For your second question, the simple answer is that it is the most memorable and dramatic story - I didn't reread the Silmarillion for a long but the story of Turin stayed clearest in the memory.

As for the first... maybe CT is rooting for the wrong side !

Seriously, having just read the Milton Waldman letter in its long form at the start of the Silmarillion second edition, I think it is just using a term which is perhas more understandable than "(angelic) powers", to those who don't perhaps know the Sil but have encountered Norse / Classical mythology..... however it surely should not have been capitalised ...how intriguing if CT did so himself!!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote