View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 12:51 AM   #68
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Let's do this again.

Quote:
I just don't see how I have a free will if God knows I am going to jump off a cliff and die when I'm 23. (SoN)
But what role, exactly, does God play in your suicide? He just knows it. He won't stop you if you really want to do it. As I said, you are other from God. Otherwise, he'd be better off playing with Lego figures.

God knows what we'll do, but it is we who actually go there.

Or, to quote the phantom on another thread (on how Eru's omniscience and free will can co-exist):
Quote:
Perhaps Eru holds all the cards but chooses not to always look at them? Maybe He sits back and watches things unfold and shields Himself from His future knowledge except for in times when it is necessary?

Or perhaps He is somehow capable of knowing what is going to happen and being surprised by it at the same time?

Who knows? We're talking about a being who does not operate on the same plane as we do.

It's possible that if Eru himself answered the free will question we would lack the capacity to understand the explanation. (tp)
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote