View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #98
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't say that I dislike immensely any of the characters in LotR or the Sil, for such is Tolkien's writing that I can only feel sorry for some of their follies. For example, Feanor is clearly quite egocentric and his complete lack of duplicity in speech makes him seem overbearing and arrogant. But how else can one feel who knows well that he is the strongest, most cunning, fairest, greatest warrior and subtlest craftsman in the world? His follies were great, but I don't hate him for it. As for Denethor, his madness did not stem from a hateful or malevolent disposition but rather from an overwhelming fear of the darkness, a simple human emotion that all of us can relate with. As for Tom Bombadil, I can see why many serious fantasy readers would brush him off as a childish, stupid and pointless character, but personally he is one of my favorite characters in Tolkien's work, a breath of fresh air in his often dark and gloomy writing. Boromir I pity greatly, and I think Sean Bean did a wondrous job of bringing out the pitiable, only-human side of Boromir that many didn't recognize when reading LotR. I can honestly say that there are no characters in any of Tolkien's works who I dislike aside from the obviously evil characters. I do feel pity for many of them and think that they would have done better to make different choices. Even Morgoth himself was pitiable in a way, a great being with knowledge and power beyond any save Manwe and Eru, and it is pitiable even to see his mind corrupted and grievous to see the marring of the world at his hands.