View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 06:01 AM   #150
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

^ ^ ^ ^Erebor/ Lonely Mountain ^ ^ ^ ^

Out of the corner of his eye, Stonehelm saw the other four engineers place themselves behind him.It's not quite regimental squares, but it will have to do,he said to himself in satisfaction.

In a voice low that all the dwarves could hear, but that did not carry far, he gave the command. Hold steady, lads, and stand quietly. Noise will stun them, so on my word be ready. We shall begin a steady tread of feet and battle cry and then send them volleys of stones. Count yourself down from Curin on the left, who shall be 'one'. The odds start throwing at my call of 'odd.' Then, at my call of even, send the second volley. And wave your axes. The centre orbs will focus on you, but your moving axes should confuse the outlying eyes.

The dwarves' resolve stiffened, remembering the pattern of defense which Stonehelm had learned from Dain at the Seige of Erebor.

Look lively, lads, Stonehelm whispered. He stood taller and began the rhythmic stomping of left foot, right foot, left, right, left and raised the cry in which all joined. Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd aimęnu!

True to his knowledge, the sound stunned the multitude of spiders. Then came the count. Odd! The first volley flew. Even! The second volly came forth. Odd! Even!

The dwarves kept up their rhythmic stomps, repeating over and over again their battle cry, as the stones flew in tandem. Then, the dwarves went on the attack, storming forward, axes hewing and slashing the stunned spiders and seconding the work begun by the stones.

The elves looked on with amazement, never having imagined dwarves with such disciplined courage.

[ October 06, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]